Specialist Barristers at Alexander Chambers
- Paul Moulder
Called to the Bar 1997
- Paul has a wide-ranging experience of the regulation of professional persons. He holds appointments with a number of healthcare professional and other regulators. He acts as Legally Qualified Chair and Legal Adviser, advising on law and procedure.
- Paul’s current appointments and roles include:
- Legally Qualified Chair with the Medical Practitioners’ Tribunal (GMC)
- Legal Adviser to General Dental Council
- Legal Adviser to General Optical Council
- Legal Assessor to Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Legal Adviser to Social Work England
- Legal Adviser to Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council
- Legal Assessor to Registration Council for Clinical Physiologists
- Paul has previously held roles for other regulators:
- Former Chair Fitness to Practise Committee – General Chiropractic Council
- Former Panellist Fitness to Practise and Health Committee – Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Paul’s experience with statutory regulation regimes is also useful to other professionals. He acts for registrants in front of their professional disciplinary panels. He has advised and represented other health professionals and teachers in relation to conduct and competence investigations and proceedings.
- Paul is regularly instructed by landlords and tenants in relation to property-related disputes, including leasehold disputes, service charges, leasehold enfranchisement, easements, possession, adverse possession and dilapidations.
- His cases have included:
- Acting for the landlord in a claim for breach of tenancy in which the tenant claimed a duty on the landlord to mitigate loss of rent (case reaching the Court of Appeal)
- Acting for the landlord of an industrial complex in the tenants’ claim for relief from forfeiture, on the grounds of implied novation of tenancy
- Advising on disputes in relation to commercial leases and the rights of parties on termination and assignment of leases.
- Representing tenants in claims for residential possession brought in breach of terms of agreement, including on matters of dilapidations, rent arrears and other breaches
- Defending in possession claims brought on grounds of Anti-Social behaviour allegations; claims brought under the Housing Acts 1980, 1988 and 1996
- Paul acts for private and corporate clients in relation to contractual matters and disputes. He is experienced at dealing with insurance-related claims and disputes. He has an interest in consumer-related law and has dealt with a number of building-related disputes. His practice also deals with the statutory regulation and licensing of commercial enterprises. His cases have included:
- Acting for the Account holder of a bank to enforce the Banking Code and successfully defending a claim for alleged overdrafts on the account
- Successfully obtaining an indemnity from insurers in a claim for theft loss of a vehicle when breach of warranty was alleged
- Actions on summons to determine ownership of goods obtained by deception, concerning principles under the Sale of Goods Act and the Factors Act.
Public Sector – Education
- Paul can advise in the field of Education Law
- Paul has acted for local authorities and parents in claims involving Special Educational Needs and Disability issues.
- His cases have embraced:
- School placement issues concerning maintained and independent, mainstream and special schools
- Appeals concerning SEN provision, including therapies and reasonable adjustments
- Discrimination in education services, including allegations of physical restraint, a case receiving mention in Parliament – see below*
- Special educational needs in relation to behavioural conditions, Asperger’s and autistic spectrum disorders;
- Admissions and Exclusions
- South Eastern Circuit;
- Surrey and South London Bar Mess
- Member of Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
Paul accepts Direct Access instructions.
Paul Moulder has an active practice in civil litigation. Return to Top
Contact us in confidence without obligation on 0845 652 0451 if you would like to speak to Paul
Moulder about your case.
Paul Moulder is a Barrister in Healthcare Law, acting for Professionals in Regulatory Defence,
providing Legal Advice and Representation in the UK.